Canvas is currently in use at 8 other CSU campuses, all but three UC campuses, and the entire California Community College system. With this high rate of adoption in the state, there are additional advantages to be gained in continuity, contracting, and support. Due to the advantages in service, integration, and overall pedagogy that Canvas provides, the campus will not be continuing with PolyLearn-Moodle, but rather transitioning to Canvas only by Fall 2020.
Canvas offers instructors the following improvements:
- A SpeedGrader for quick entry of text or video feedback for grading
- More grade display options and easy activity weighting
- Ability to save all courses you teach within the system (i.e., courses will not be deleted)
- A clean, intuitive design with less "clicks"
- A mobile app that allows you to access courses, grade assignments, and communicate with students
- Course modules to ease the organization of content and assignments
- Any calendar changes automatically update within the syllabus and course modules
- A way to connect coursework with competencies and learning outcomes
- A learner-centered approach
- Vastly improved content management tools
- Ability to record and add video right in the course as well as embed external videos
- An accessibility checker built into the text editor that guides users through fixes
- Early alert tools that provide course analytics and a graphical overview of students' course activity
- An open platform that allows for the incorporation of many third-party apps
- Continuous updates and significant changes to the system can be scheduled between quarters to avoid interruptions
Each faculty should have a Canvas Sandbox courses and a course shell for every course they are teaching each quarter.
You will find many resource links: under NAVIGATION: Faculty to help you.
Some Helpful Canvas (Instructure.inc) Support Resources