UPDATE: Screencast-o-Matic has changed its name to "ScreenPal". You can learn more on their website.
ScreenPal is an easy-to-use video and screen recording web application for Mac, Windows, and Chromebooks that enables you to capture what is being displayed on your computer screen along with audio and optional webcam.
Faculty are legally required to make electronic course material accessible via captioning (Section 508).
NOTE: ScreenPal plugin does not work in Safari browser. Try Chrome or Firefox.
Cal Poly’s license to ScreenPal comes with full editing functionality and automatic/editable captions. Faculty have limited allocations of storage (charged extra in license fees) for those files on the ScreenPal cloud. Cal Poly also has Stream on SharePoint. SOM videos can be downloaded and uploaded into Stream. To upload a video into Microsoft Stream, open OneDrive and drag/drop the .MP4 file. It will appear in Stream.
With Stream (on SharePoint), users can:
- Upload video or audio files to SharePoint, Teams, or OneDrive, just like any other file.
- Find and get back to recent videos, ones shared with you from the Stream start page in Office.
- Generate a transcript and closed captions for the language spoken in a video in SharePoint, Teams, or OneDrive.
- Manually add chapters, letting a viewer jump right to the part of the audio/video file they want.
- Collaborate with comments, just like with any other Microsoft 365 document.
- Add custom thumbnails, titles, and descriptions.
- Share videos with others, including external partners or guests, just like you share any other file.
- Feature videos in pages, sites, portals, and Microsoft Teams.
- Get analytics to know how your viewers are watching.
After you have already created the video (link above), you can embed it into your Canvas course.
- You will need to Log into ScreenPal first via our Cal Poly address https://screencast-o-matic.com/calpoly
- While creating content - in the Text Editor...click on the Plug icon.
- Click on the View All button.
- Scroll down and click on the ScreenPal link.
- Since you are already logged in (step 1), pick the video you want to add.
- Click on the Embed button.
- Save the Page.
NOTE: The ScreenPal button will now appear in the Plug list.
Go to the CTLT page to learn more about Screencast-O-Matic (ScreenPal).
Starting July 22, 2021, Connect has been enabled to allow faculty to download Zoom recordings into ScreenPal to edit, caption, upload and share in the ScreenPal cloud.
Connect is used within the ScreenPal application - https://screencast-o-matic.com/calpoly. This is not a Canvas tool/integration.
To learn more about Connect:
- Connect with your Local (computer)/Cloud - Zoom Recordings
- Connect: How to Video
- Configure Zoom to Create Recordings Optimized for SOM Editing
Most of the support for SOM will be via ScreenPal. Please see the support links below.