Screencast-O-Matic (SOM) is an easy-to-use video and screen recording web application for Mac, Windows, and Chromebooks that enables you to capture what is being displayed on your computer screen along with audio and optional webcam.
Faculty are legally required to make electronic course material accessible via captioning (Section 508).
Cal Poly’s license to SOM comes with full editing functionality and automatic/editable captions. Faculty have generous allocations of storage for those files on the SOM cloud. Once created, videos can easily be accessed by students via a shared link. In the cloud, SOM videos can easily be embed directly into your Canvas course.
- How to use and create Screencast-o-Matic videos?
- Captioning live and recorded Screencast-o-Matic videos.
NOTE: Screencast-o-Matic plugin does not work in Safari browser. Try Chrome or Firefox.
After you have already created the video (link above), you can embed it into your Canvas course.
- You will need to Log into Screencast-O-Matic first via our Cal Poly address https://screencast-o-matic.com/calpoly
- While creating content - in the Text Editor...click on the Plug icon.
- Click on the View All button.
- Scroll down and click on the Screencast-O-Matic link.
- Since you are already logged in (step 1), pick the video you want to add.
- Click on the Embed button.
- Save the Page.
NOTE: The SOM button will now appear in the Plug list.
Go to the CTLT page to learn more about Screencast-O-Matic.
Starting July 22, 2021, Connect has been enabled to allow faculty to download Zoom recordings into SOM to edit, caption, upload and share in the SOM cloud.
Connect is used within the SOM application - https://screencast-o-matic.com/calpoly. This is not a Canvas tool/integration.
To learn more about Connect:
- Connect with your Local (computer)/Cloud - Zoom Recordings
- Connect: How to Video
- Configure Zoom to Create Recordings Optimized for SOM Editing
Most of the support for SOM will be via Screencast-o-matic. Please see the support links below.