Screencast-O-Matic (SOM) is an easy-to-use video and screen recording web application for Mac, Windows, and Chromebooks that enables you to capture what is being displayed on your computer screen along with audio and optional webcam.
- Faculty are legally required to make electronic course material accessible via captioning (Section 508).
- Video: How to use SOM's Captioning Tools
- Turn ON SOM's cloud audio captioning tool.
Cal Poly’s license to SOM comes with full editing functionality and automatic/editable captions. Once created, videos can easily be accessed by students via a shared link. If you save the recording to the SOM server, you can easily embed the video directly into your Canvas course.
Faculty who create SOM content have generous allocations of storage for those files on the SOM cloud. SOM will generate a transcript/caption for each file that will greatly enhance accessibility for your students. You can embed SOM videos in your Canvas course.
- How to use and create Screencast-o-Matic videos?
- Captioning live and recorded Screencast-o-Matic videos
NOTE: Screencast-o-Matic plugin does not work in Safari browser. Try Chrome or Firefox.
Embedding a Screencast-O-Matic Video
After you have already created the video (link above), you can embed it into your Canvas course.
- You will need to Log into Screencast-O-Matic first via our Cal Poly address https://screencast-o-matic.com/calpoly
- While creating content - in the Text Editor...click on the Plug icon.
- Click on the View All button.
- Scroll down and click on the Screencast-O-Matic link.
- Since you are already logged in (step 1), pick the video you want to add.
- Click on the Embed button.
- Save the Page.
NOTE: The SOM button will now appear in the Plug list.
Go to the CTLT page to learn more about Screencast-O-Matic.