WARNING: If you want to create separate ZOOM meetings for your sections...it will NOT WORK with cross-listed courses.
Cross-listing should be done while courses are unpublished. Coursework is retained with the course, not with the section enrollments, so if a published course is cross-listed, all cross-listed enrollments will lose any associated assignment submissions and grades.
Sections can only reside in one site at a time. So, you can't enroll students in a lab site AND a combined site.
NOTE - Before you Cross-list read all the points below....
- This process is the opposite of PolyLearn - Moodle and will cause problems if you do not follow the instructions carefully.
- Once you Cross-List, the child courses will no longer appear in your Dashboard.
- You will manually need to create a group for your sections if you want to keep them separate in the grades, activities or other. If your course has multiple group assignments - use Group Sets. You can also use the Assign To feature to create different dates/times (just like for DRC accommodations).
The process of Merging Section (combining the enrollment from two or more courses) in Canvas is referred to as cross-listing. Before cross-listing, you must be a Teacher in all the sections, you need to determine which course will serve as the Parent (primary) course, and which course(s) will be the Child courses - cross-listed (moved to primary course).
Consider this scenario for the steps below: you are teaching ENGL-101-01 and ENGL-101-02 and would like to combine the enrollments into one course. You decide that ENGL-101-01 will serve as the primary (Parent) course.
Cross-Listing in Canvas:
1st - Hide the People menu in your course. Students should not see the list of students in the class.
- Navigate to the course you wish to cross-list (in our example, ENGL-101-02). Start in the Child course.
- Click on Settings in the course menu.
- Click on Sections tab.
- Click the title of the course under Course Sections (ENGL-101-02)
- Click on the Cross-List this Section button in the Side Bar.
- Choose the primary (parent) course to cross-list (merge) into and click on the Cross-List This Section button.
- At any time you can edit the section name.
If you have mistakenly cross-listed any courses, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request that the course section be De-Cross-Listed. Please provide the full course ID's (ENGL-101-01-2202) so that we can help.
After you Cross-Listed your course sections, students will ONLY have access to the Primary (parent) course shell on their Dashboard.
For example, this student is enrolled in ENGL-145 section 13, but the primary is section 12. ONLY section 12 will be available to ALL the students.