Maintenance Window - Systems Unavailable
Canvas is managed by Instructure and has their own timeline for update and fixes.
Periodically functionality will be added, changed, or removed in Canvas. Announcements are made in Release Notes / Calendar on an ongoing basis. Other changes may not be directly related to Canvas, such as browser updates, which are not associated with Canvas releases. Archived updates can be viewed.
Since Canvas is cloud based, Cal Poly does not house it on any of our campus computers. You can view Instructure's System Status and Incidents reports.
- MS Immersive Reader (2/12): enhances your reading experience on Pages by improving accessibility and boosting reading comprehension.
- VIEW Ungraded as 0: allows instructors to view student grades as if all ungraded assignments were worth zero points. (which is a visual change only and does not affect any grades). Turn it on via the Gradebook > View > View Ungraded as 0.
- Import - Final Grade Override Scores: When an institution has enabled final grade overrides, and an instructor has enabled the option in the Gradebook, the instructor can use the CSV export file to enter and upload final grade override scores.
- Pretty HTML Editor: While viewing the HTML, you can now see colors to help separate the HTML code.
- MathJax and LaTEX Enhancements: allows users to use equations in more areas of Canvas and manage equations more efficiently
- Student View button changed and moved to top right
- Starting Dec. 29 - New Rich Content Editor turned on
- Global Navigation - History
- Notification Preference Interface Changes
- MathJax Equation Editor Improvements: The MathJax JS library has been improved to render equations in a more accessible format and promote ease of use. Math equations created anywhere in Canvas will be rendered as MathML.
- Multiple page delete
- Hide sections (Cross-List) on People page from students
- Global Announcements link in Account menu
- Assignment Index Menu - Bulk Edit
- Confetti for on-time submissions
- New user tutorial
- New student welcome tour
- Rubrics link in course navigation
- Unlimited Assignment attempts
- Help for unpublished courses
- Final grade override (tested: enabled 8/25/20)
- Mute Notifications by course
Maintenance Windows for Canvas and 3rd Party Tools
There are times that software will not be available due to update or patches that Cal Poly will not be able to change since these dates are managed by other companies.
Dec. 20, 2020: 1 - 9am ET - Pearson
All MyLab & Mastering courses, Revel, Enhanced Revel, MyLabsPlus, Learning Catalytics/Live Response, Pearson Writer, Writing Solutions, and MediaShare. You and your students will be unable to access your courses for the entire maintenance window.
- This impacts all courses including those integrated with a learning management system such as Blackboard, Canvas, Brightspace by D2L, or Moodle.
- When you and your students attempt to access your courses, you’ll see a splash page about the maintenance work.
May 2, 2020: 8am - Noon PST - TurnItIn
Requires an emergency maintenance window as a pre-emptive measure to avoid rescheduled maintenance work being carried out by a third-party network provider during the week. During this time, there may be an interruption to our services. We are planning for this work to only take the first two hours of this window, however we ask that you plan for the full duration. Customers using Turnitin through the following services will encounter a service outage and will have to retry their submissions after this time.
May 1, 2020: 1:00am - 2:00am MST - Canvas Update
Performing maintenance for our Google Apps and Office 365 LTIs, which will last for up to 1 hour. If you have one of these tools installed in your account you may be unable to access that tool for the duration of this maintenance.