Students Using Office and Google in Canvas
Cal Poly has Office 365 (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneDrive, Stream, Teams) that you can use within and outside of Canvas.
Many people also use Google. Google is a great free tool that you can also connect to your Canvas settings - but it is NO a Cal Poly support tool (we do not have a license).
If you have enabled Microsoft Office 365, you can view all files in your Microsoft Office 365 (OneDrive) folder in Canvas. The OneDrive folder is accessed from the Course Navigation Menu.
Note: when you share a file from your OneDrive...you are only sharing that ONE file. You are NOT giving students access to ALL your files.
Errors: Your session has expired, please log back in OR an unexpected error occurred.
- To login to Office 365, make sure you are successfully logged into the Cal Poly Portal (https://my.calpoly.edu) - it does time OUT after 30 min.
- Make sure you log into Office 365 in Canvas. Click on the Office 365 navigation link (left side of Canvas) and login with Cal Poly account.
- After you are logged into the Office 365 via the Canvas navigation...THEN click on the Collaborations navigation link and create your Office 365 (word/excel) collaboration.
If your faculty wants to you collaborate on a Office 365 with your peers and you can't access the Google doc...
Office 365: Failure - Something went wrong with authentication/Not allowed to view
Steps to fix Office 365 for your Canvas account
- Log OUT of Canvas and the Portal (my.calpoly.edu)
- In the Browser, go to https://login.microsoftonline.com/
- Click on the profile picture in the upper right hand corner and select View Account from the drop down menu
- Click on the Mange link in the Office Apps box
- In the App Permissions box, click on the Change app permissions link
- Click on the revoke option under "Office365 LTI Prod IAD"
- Under your profile picture, top right - Log out of your Microsoft account.
- Now go back to the Portal - https://my.calpoly.edu and login.
- Click on the Cal Poly Canvas button on the left under My Apps.
- Click on the Account button (top Left) and choose Settings.
- Scroll down, for EVERY “Office 365 Prod Iad” click on the trash can on the right to delete.
- Now click on the Office 365 navigation (left menu) and login. If you do NOT have that menu, click on the file the faculty shared.
- A window will pop up with Permissions requested - Accept.
IF you still can't create work on a collaboration, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the course ID (ex: ENGL-101-01-2214).
The Google Drive web service allows you to integrate Canvas with your Google Drive account. All users can authorize their Google Drive accounts for access to Google collaborations and assignment uploads.
If your faculty wants to you collaborate on a Google Doc with your peers and you can't access the Google doc...
- Connect to Google Drive Services in Canvas
- Log OUT of Canvas and the Portal, Quit the Browser.
- Open a new browser
- Go to https://myaccount.google.com/
- Click on the Security tab on the left
- Under Third-party apps with account access, click Manage third-party access
- Click on Google Drive LTI by Canvas
- Click Remove Access button
- Open a private or incognito window
- Log into the Portal https://my.calpoly.edu
- Click on the Cal Poly Canvas button (Left: My Apps)
- Open the course and try to access the collaboration again.
If you are unable to access your Office 365 system, please contact the Service Desk at email@example.com since Office is supported by their department.
Google is not a Cal Poly supported software. You may have to search for support on your own for this tool.