Many of us are new to Canvas and don't realize there are things that can make the experience unfavorable.
For example, you publish your course early, but none of your students can access your course to complete the assigned activity.
This page is a One-Stop-Shop for using Canvas. All this information is located within this site or on the Canvas Guides. We hope that this provides the help you need to be successful. Please feel free to request additions via firstname.lastname@example.org.
= for items that can cause problems.
- Learn more about how to login
- Review the QuickGuide
- You do not have access to your Canvas course? You may not be the Instructor of Record yet.
- Courses not appearing on your Dashboard.
- If you are new to Canvas and want to learn more, please see our recorded Webinars.
- You can also schedule a consultation.
- Self-enroll into our self-paced online classes (Cal Poly Canvas Orientation, Launching a Course Online with Canvas, Creating Accessible Canvas Content, Creating Accessible Documents, Creating Accessible Video).
- You can email email@example.com for help M-F / 8-5. OR use the HELP > Chat built into Canvas's - Global Navigation on the left (in Canvas).
- Our Cal Poly Canvas Support Site (http://canvassupport.calpoly.edu) has great information for Cal Poly users and the Canvas Guides have general Canvas instructions.
- Frequently Asked Questions will have all the current issues and answers.
- All PolyLearn - Moodle courses from Fall 2019 - Spring 2020 have already been imported into Canvas' - PolyLearn_Backup folder. You can modify this shell and then Copy it into your Fall 2020 Canvas shell OR Copy into Fall 2020 and modify. You choose.
- If you do NOT like your the way your PolyLearn - Moodle course appears in Canvas, please see the webinar. This will cover the pros and cons of migrating PolyLearn into Canvas and the other options.
- Templates are available if you want to use all or parts for our courses. Learn how to customize the Syllabus Template.
- Some of you have been using your Sandbox shells. You can also Copy those into your Fall 2020 shell. If you need more Sandbox shells, just fill out the request.
- If you copy a course that has Zoom meetings into your new course, those meetings will NOT work and will need to be manually deleted from the UNDATED Calendar list.
Getting ready to teach...
- Course Check List: migrated PolyLearn - Moodle course into Canvas.
- Course Check List: Canvas course
- Validate your links
- The Canvas Syllabus tool has many benefits for your students. Learn how to Copy/Paste your syllabus DOC into the Syllabus tool. Learn how to import DOC/PDF and use the Course Summary. Learn how to customize the Syllabus Template. Learn how to set up your syllabus table of contents.
- Choose the Front Page (if using a Page). Set Homepage (Activity Stream, Front Page, Modules, Assignment list or Syllabus).
- Organizing your course content options: watch the webinar, self enroll into one of our classes so you can see what they look like (Cal Poly Canvas Orientation, Launching a Course Online with Canvas, Creating Accessible Canvas Content, Creating Accessible Documents, Creating Accessible Video).
- Before you Merge/Cross-List your course sections, please read the instructions carefully. NOTE: Once you Cross-List, the child courses will no longer appear in your Dashboard. ALSO - if you Cross-List your course, the "child" course section will not import grades to the Grade Roster. AND - you will manually need to create a group for your sections if you want to keep them separate in the grades, activities or other. If your course has group assignments - use Group Sets.
- Trying to integrate your publisher content?
- Wanting to use the Plugins (integrations) added: Zoom, Flipgrid, TurnItIn, Screencast-O-Matic, OneDrive, iClicker, Notebook, Piazza, or Respondus.
- All video files (MP4, MOV, and AVI) uploaded to Canvas will not display captions, and therefore the videos are not accessible. These video files need to be removed from your course shells and stored on one of the cloud hosting sites: Zoom, Screencast-O-Matic, YouTube, Vimeo or Microsoft Stream. We are all working together to create an inclusive campus at Cal Poly, and you have a vital role to play by making sure your videos are accessible.
- Course size: Faculty using Canvas automatically have 2GB of storage in each course, which will suffice for most courses. In addition, 5TB (5,000 GB) of additional space for (non-video) course materials is available to faculty within OneDrive. Files can easily be linked within Canvas for students to access.
- It is important to provide community in your virtual classes and the Discussion tool is great for this. You may want to turn OFF the option to allow students to create NEW discussion topics. This doesn't prevent them from replying to yours.
- Classic Quiz vs New Quiz: Canvas says that the Classic Quiz will be removed after July 2021. Learn more about Classic Quiz types.
- If you like to use LaTex, then you will need to use Classic Quiz, since the New Quiz uses Math Quill.
- Creating secure exams.
- Quiz Settings to Maximize Security
- How to setup your Gradebook, please see this webinar since there are multiple steps and locations for setup.
- Set your Grade Policies - Late Policies (default 100% for missing) / Grade Posting Policy (visibility options).
- Make sure your course has the Grade Scheme enabled, so the letter grade will transferred to PeopleSoft.
- Feature/tool not available in Canvas? If Canvas does NOT have the ability to do something you want/need, please see the Feature Request page.
- Course communications - Inbox or Announcements will not be sent to students until the course is 1) published, and 2) both start dates have passed.
- Before the course is Published and the start date has passed, you use outside email (firstname.lastname@example.org) to send the students a welcome message.
- All users should check their Notifications preferences. On the Left, Account > Notifications. Make sure you have set your Conversations to Notify me right away.
- Use the built-in tool Student View in your course to see the student's perspective: use Student View to view the course, post and reply to discussions, submit assignments, view grades, view people, view pages, view the syllabus, view quizzes, view the calendar, and view the scheduler.
- If you would like to test or work on your Gradebook setup with a "fake" student, you can enroll "email@example.com" via the People > + People within your course.
- During the add/drop period, students who are adding your course will not be added into your Canvas course until the middle of the second week. You should manually add students to your course (while they wait for the add code to officially enroll) as soon as possible. After the official add, confirm the student has "registered" for this course and appears in your Portal's - my.calpoly.edu, Class Roster.
- The Discussion tool isn't really for upload and embedding files into the Discussion reply. Discussion upload and embed uses User Storage that is only 50MB/person. Students can attach their files from OneDrive, Google or other.
- For file submissions, better to use the Assignment tool.
- Anonymously Peer-Review Assignments will not allow the students or faculty to annotate/markup.
- Always provide a "practice" option for each graded activity. For example - a syllabus quiz is a low stakes quiz that will help students work out any technical issues early before a high stakes quiz.
- Create formative assessments and communicate often with your students.
- Create accommodations (Moderate) for students in a Classic Quiz or New Quiz. Also Assignment accommodations.
- Student MUST accept the invitation (People > "pending") to the course to be able to open it. It is emailed to their Cal Poly email and should appear on the Dashboard. You can send another invite if they can't find it.
- You can review course and student analytics. NOTE: Canvas data is NOT the same as PolyLearn's.
- The Term (Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer Quarter) have an END date. Once the END date has passed, you (Teacher) cannot change your course. If you need to continue to work in your OLD course (student w/incomplete or other)...change the END date before the TERM ends. If you are too late, email firstname.lastname@example.org to change it for you.
- Decide if or how students can access your course after the quarter (Term) ends.
- Finalize the Gradebook and import into Grade Roster/PeopleSoft. NOTE: if you Cross-List your course, the "child" course section will not import grades to the Grade Roster.