Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
If you are new to Canvas or just Cal Poly's version, this page should help you find some answers.
If you don't find what you're looking for on this page, you can check the Canvas Guides or this support site. You can also use the HELP > Chat or Phone for immediate support. To contact the Cal Poly Canvas Support Team email email@example.com.
The Course Checklist can be helpful when just starting out with Canvas.
Try First (Troubleshooting)...
- Try a HARD Refresh.
Safari: Command (⌘) + Option (⌥) + R.
Chrome/Firefox: Hold both the ⌘ Cmd and ⇧ Shift keys and press the R key.
- Try in a private/incognito browser window
- Try a different supported browser (make sure the alternate browser is also fully updated, I recommend Chrome or Firefox)
- Make sure your browser is fully up to date
- Check your browser version and settings
- Clear your cache (here is how to do that on a PC and a Mac)
- Try on a different device (if possible)
- Try on a different network (if possible)
How do I see what my students are accessing in my course?
You can view the course access report for an individual student in your course.
The Canvas Gradebook needs to be save to OneDrive for 5 years.
You can Export your Canvas grades to an .CSV file and upload to OneDrive.
When will wait-listed student be added to Canvas?
Waitlist enrollments will be uploaded into Canvas twice a day - 8am and 4pm daily. If the student needs access to Canvas before those times, instructors can manually add students to Canvas courses (as a "student") for immediate access.
How can I remove a student from my course?
Instructors can Remove students from their own Canvas courses, but it is best to wait for the PeopleSoft data to remove students once the student officially drops the course.
If you accidentally Remove a student who had grades and needs to continue the course, just add them back (+People) as a student and their participation will appear.
Students do not receive Email/Messages/Announcements
Students will not receive Canvas communications until the course is Published and after the Term settings (Fall Sept. 3 - Learn More). It is best to use outside email with your course alias (firstname.lastname@example.org) to send the students until the course is Published and the a Date has passed.
Pronouns in Canvas
Users can add pronouns in Canvas. Click on your Account > Settings > Edit Settings. From the Pronouns list, choose and Update Settings.
NOTE: pronoun changes in the Portal (my.calpoly.edu) will not transfer to Canvas. Set your pronouns in Canvas separately.
- log into the Portal https://my.calpoly.edu
- go to the Personal Info tab
- Click on Preferred Name - edit
The next day (about 5am), Canvas will get the "preferred" name and it will change how the name appears.
Are your Grades Correct?
Default Grade Policy = missing assignments 100%. This means that your students got an A for not doing the assignment. Change the Late Policy to 0%. After graded activities are complete, you will have to manually fix each students' missing grade in the Gradebook. ALSO - Within the Assignment Index, please make sure the graded activities are published.
New Quiz - Student View error "The quiz is no longer available as your enrollment has been concluded."
If you try to view the New Quiz with Student View, you may end up with this error. The Instructure - Canvas team is working on this bug now. In the mean time, use the Preview button within the New Quiz to preview the quiz. Students can still see and take the quiz.
New Quiz will not Copy - Blank - No Questions
There is a current issue with New Quiz not coping questions or the Moderate list will not appear after a Copy. It may take some time for the questions to copy. But you can try some troubleshooting steps now (#4 private/incognito & # 6 clear cache). If TB steps above (#4 &6) do not help with Moderate, try the Search box (B) to view students. "New Quiz Accommodations (Pencil icon (C)) apply to all assessments in a course for a student and only one accommodation can be set per student." The Moderate (D) button only sets accommodations for this Quiz. If that doesn't work - please Report a Problem with Canvas - Instructure.
How do I copy a Quiz from one course to another?
NOTE: a single Copy to/Duplicate/Import of a quiz is OK. Do not repeat the process, as any subsequent imports will overwrite an existing quiz.
Copy to / Import / Duplicate options can OVERRIDE the quiz with student answers/grades. Quizzes are identified by number (https://canvas.calpoly.edu/courses/16454/quizzes/475) and not name, so even if you rename it will still override. It is better to Export the quiz as a QTI and then Import the QTI into the other course.
NOTE: You can Copy to / Import / Duplicate as many times as you want, IF NO students have taken the Quiz yet. Make sure the URL (Quiz #) is different for each new Quiz.
- Open old course, click on the Settings navigation link on left
- Click on the Export Course Content button on the right
- Find the quiz and choose the Click here to download link (the top most current export “name of your course)
- Pick Quiz, then the quiz name(s)
- Click on the Create Export button
- Download by clicking on the New Export link. Should be a QTI file that it exported.
NOTE: Is this from a Classic or New Quiz - you will need to choose which one you want when you import. Classic to Classic or Classic to New.
- Open current/new course, click on the Settings navigation link on left
- Click on the Import Course Content button on the right
- Choose Content Type: QTI .zip file
- Click on the Choose File button (to find file download to your computer before)
- Locate file and click on the Open button
- Options: Click on the box for Import Assessment content as New Quizzes IF it is a NEW quiz and DON'T click box if Classic Quiz.
- Select question bank to upload QTI questions into
- Click on the Import button.
NOTE: The quiz will have the SAME name, but a different number. If you click on the quiz and look at the URL, the last number is the quiz identifier. Look for the "highest" number and that is the NEW imported quiz. ONLY change that quiz name so YOU know which is which.
How do I provide more time for a Quiz?
You can provide accommodations for students or allow for additional time or attempts.
How can I edit the New Quiz Questions, I am stuck on the Edit Settings page?
Canvas' update 3/20/21, changed how the New Quiz works. NOW you have to click on the SAVE button to get to the next page to access questions.
I can't find my Courses...
If you have organized your Dashboard with "Stars" to show your favorite courses, you will have to find the other courses via the Courses > All Courses link.
On this page click on the Star icon to favor the course you want to see on the Dashboard. Make sure to favor ALL the courses you want to see. NOTE: Past Enrollment (OLD) courses cannot be Stared and only viewed via the Courses > All Courses link.
Where does this Zoom Passcode come from?
If you do not want a passcode, please login to your Cal Poly Zoom account https://calpoly.zoom.us and TURN OFF the passcode. This is NOT in Canvas. Zoom is a 3rd Party plugin. Zoom Help - email@example.com
Does Canvas have a direct email tool?
NOTE: A course must be published before students will receive any Canvas inbox message or Notification sent to them from that course.
Canvas does not have a direct email tool, however, the Canvas Inbox serves a similar purpose. In addition to messages being available from within Canvas Inbox, students are sent email, text, or app-based messages based on their personal Notifications settings. When students take action to modify their Notifications settings (Conversations), they will receive an email with the content of a Canvas Inbox message included. Emails sent from Canvas are from firstname.lastname@example.org.
Instructors should edit their Notification settings for their OWN needs as well.
Why can't my students access my course early?
Courses will NO longer have a Start or End date. This will make it easier for faculty to Publish courses. By default, students can access (to SEE only - not participate) their Spring published courses 10 days before the Term starts (Winter term is Dec. 24 - Apr 18).
- From the Course Menu > Settings
- In the Course Details tab, you can choose a Start date.
NOTE: this is not required, when published, students can access the course 10 days before the Term starts.
If you Cross-Listed (merged) additional sections....
- Click on the Sections Tab at the top.
- Click on the "blue" link of the course ID.
- Click on the Edit Section button on the right.
- You can choose to edit the Starts / Ends dates here too and Update Section.
NOTE: You will need to change these for ALL the cross-listed sections too. BE AWARE of the course ID at the top...since once you click on section 2 are OUT of section 1 and would need to click on it again in the Dashboard.
How can I prevent students from accessing a course after it is done?
After the quarter is over (but before Canvas term ends), you can restrict access for students (unable to open to view course). From the Course Settings > Course Details tab...
- 1) change or add an End date
- 2) check the “Restrict students from viewing this course after end date” option
If you want to allow students to view content only after the end of the quarter, you can...set the End date and don't choose any other options This prevents students from seeing the graded activities (quiz questions/answers).
Allow students to access course after
Do you have a student that needs to finish an incomplete? Courses are set by Term dates. If you want all students to continue to use your course after the End date…you will need to: From the Course Settings > Course Details tab...
- change the End date
- do not check any options
- allow students to take the graded item after the original due date. For example- a quiz, new quiz, and assignment can have more than one due date.
...and will not allow students to participate after the END date.
If your course is already closed, you can request access for a student to finish due to an incomplete.
How do I share my Canvas course with the RPT reviewers?
You can export your Canvas shell as an ePub and share the ePub file with the RPT members. You can also request for them to have access via the online form.
- Faculty can Direct Share content to Cal Poly Canvas Teachers.
- You can export the course and they can install it in their own Canvas.
- We can provide access to the course shell, please see details on the request page.
- You can export your Canvas shell as an ePub and share the ePub file with the RPT members or other faculty.
- If it is only content, make the course “public” and then share the URL so the person can SEE the course. If you cannot, send an email to email@example.com requesting your course changed to "public".
- You can share it in the Commons, if they have access to their own Canvas.
Can I use 3rd Partly / LTI / Plugins in my Canvas courses? For example, my publisher has a Canvas plugin I want to use.
At this time we are not ready to add any additional tools to Canvas that we do not already have in PolyLearn - Moodle. Please see the Enhancement Request Form for guidelines and information.
Access to EDIT Old Canvas Course...
Faculty can always access their past courses, but cannot edit 21 days after the Term ends. Since those courses are graded with graded activities, it is best not to use the OLD course to edit for a future quarters. It is easy to delete or edit graded activities that CANNOT be recovered. You can copy the OLD course into a future quarter shell or request a Sandbox shell.
Merging sections in Canvas is the Opposite of PolyLearn-Moodle.
Please review the instructions Links to an external site. carefully before "cross-listing". You can also review our Canvas Support site for more information. The CTLT - Canvas Support Team is here to help, but if you need immediate support try the HELP > Chat or Phone for support resources via Canvas - Instructure.
Images not appearing in Safari Browser
1) Disable cross-site tracking prevention
2) Hard reload the page:
- Macs: Command+R (or Command+Shift+R for a heavy-duty reload)
- PC: Control+R (or Control+Shift+R for a heavy-duty reload)
Images not appearing in Quiz.
1) Go to the Files course menu and then publish the images in the quiz.
2) Use Chrome
3) Simply reloading the page at hand in Canvas can help.
- Macs: Command+R (or Command+Shift+R for a heavy-duty reload)
- PC: Control+R (or Control+Shift+R for a heavy-duty reload)
Canvas has updated the Quiz tool. Instructions about the New Quiz tool.
I can't embed Khan Academy in my page.
Khan Academy no longer supports the Canvas integration. You can still add your Khan links into your course pages.
How will I access Canvas?
Through the Cal Poly Portal (my.calpoly.edu). Look for the Canvas link under the My Apps menu on the left.
How will my students access PolyLearn or Canvas courses?
Through the Cal Poly Portal (my.calpoly.edu). For Winter 2020 - PolyLearn-Moodle will be just like it has been. Canvas will be a link in the Left My Apps menu. As the instructor, you would Show a PolyLearn course and the button/link will appear (4hr refresh on the Portal) in the My Classes channel on the Portal. As the instructor, you would Publish a Canvas course and students would see the Course Card in their Dashboard from the Portal's Cal Poly Canvas My Apps link.
Can't Attach file to Discussion - User Storage Full.
Each student only has 54MB of user storage. This is space you can store your files in Canvas under Account > Files. But, Cal Poly already has OneDrive and each student has 1TB of space. If you asked your students to attach a file in a Discussion...that uses the user storage in Canvas. Students can instead link the file from OneDrive, Google, Box, or other cloud option.
NOTE: This is only a Discussion Attachment issue. When a student submits to an Assignment - User Storage is not used.
My students' quiz answers do not include a minus sign - when they should?
This bug was discovered in December and is intermittent meaning sometimes the minus signs will display and other times they will not. There are several suggestions to resolve this issue when it occurs:
- It looks like the bug fix should be included in Chrome 88, so the last option would be to upgrade Chrome
NOTE: Chrome 88: permanently removes the support for Adobe Flash Player.
- Use another browser. The issues seem to only be related to Chrome so using Firefox or Safari should avoid the problem.
NOTE: Safari has had issues with quiz images appearing - so try Firefox first.
- If you suspect a minus sign is missing, right-click the equation and open it in a new tab or zoom in on the image
- Disable hardware acceleration in Google Chrome. (Apparently this was the solution to avoid the problem all together before 4 was an option and you really wanted to keep using Chrome)
Where is the Math Editor in the NEW Rich Content Editor (RCE)?
Since Dec. 29, we have moved to the NEW RCE and you will need to add the MathType editor.
In the New RCE:
- Click on Tools > Apps > View All
- Click on the Insert a math equation - MathType. Use the pop-up tool and close via the X in top right Conner.
NOTE: the MathTpe is now available in the Plug tool.
Where is the YouTube in the NEW Rich Content Editor (RCE)?
Since Dec. 29, we have moved to the NEW RCE and you will need to add YouTube.
NOTE: Depending on if your YouTube video is Unlisted or Public - changes HOW you add it to your course.
In the New RCE:
- Click on Tools > Apps > View All
- Click on the YouTube. Use the pop-up tool and close via the X in top right Conner.
NOTE: the YouTube is now available in the Plug tool.
I am looking for the Roll Call / Attendance tool, where is it?
Currently the Roll Call / Attendance tools in Canvas is buggy.
Please vote to have the Attendance Tool Overhauled. Canvas will improve features based on user votes.
- Issues with cross-listed courses
- Can’t use it for grading without high potential for error
- Can’t edit points without messing up the Grades
- Can’t delete, rename or un-publish attendance assignment without causing Grade errors
To learn more - How to I get attendance to add up correctly
Until the tool has been fixed, we have disabled it. In the mean time, iClicker has a free attendance tool you can use. Students can now use their smart phones to record attendance with a FREE application provided by iClicker (Reef/Cloud). Faculty can view which students attended class via a website.
Error 500 - Internal Server Error
If you are receiving an “Error 500 – Internal Server Error” message while trying to log into Canvas, you will need to clear the cookies on your web browser to resolve this issue. Please follow the instructions below to clear the cookies for your desired browser. Chrome | IE | Firefox | Safari Please make sure that you are using the latest versions of the browsers below. Before you begin troubleshooting, please close all the windows of the particular browser. Once you have gone through all the steps, re-open your browser and log into Canvas.
- Export the Canvas Grades
- Edit the CSV in Excel
- Save the Excel as a CSV UTF-8 (Comma delimited) (.csv) file
- Import the CSV into Canvas Grades
Assignment Rubric grades are missing
I graded the assignments via the Rubric and now they are not appearing in the Gradebook. Make sure that the Rubric is assigned to that Assignment or the grades will not appear in the Gradebook. Find the Rubric, hover over the rubric, click on the a pencil Icon. Scroll down, select the option to use this rubric for assignment grading and then save.
Canvas logs/data doesn't have the date and time students access resources, assignments, or activities (except quizzes).
Canvas has student data, but not everything PolyLearn had. Please view the Canvas Data options and how to access them.
Accessing PolyLearn from the Portal...
Sept. 10, the My Classes portlet has changed. You can still access your PolyLearn courses.